Please share with a friend:
On our last day in Kauai, my husband and I sat on a lounge chair overlooking the Pacific Ocean and talked about how much we enjoyed our vacation to 3 islands in Hawaii. While we have said for years that we would love to live in Hawaii, we are realistic. Our children are in New Jersey. As much as we would love to pack up the house and move to paradise, we don’t want to be that far away from our kids and future grandchildren.
Right then and there, we decided that we were going to come back in 10 years, for a very big birthday of my husband’s but this time bring the kids and our future grandchildren. We love the Hawaiian islands and can think of multiple resorts in each of the islands that would be perfect for our family vacation. With so much to see and do in each island, and depending on how old the future grandchildren will be, we might have to limit some of our activities but we can still have a wonderful family vacation in Hawaii.
This conversation got me thinking….
If we are talking about taking a multi-generational family vacation, how many other baby boomers are, or will soon be in the same position?
Here are a list of 5 top destinations that My Vacation Lady can think of as great places for multi-generational family vacations.
- Hawaii– each island is unique and you can combine culture, history and activities in 1 vacation. With resorts or condo style hotels and villas, you have many options in accommodations to fit most budgets
- The Riviera Maya– just south of Cancun and a world apart from the Girls Gone Wild spring break videos, the Riviera Maya has 70 miles of beautiful beaches and resorts built into tropical gardens. There are some great family friend resorts that will offer kids programs, great pools and family entertainment. Outside of the resort you can visit Mayan ruins, swim with dolphins, snorkel in underground rivers and so much more. The all inclusive feature of most of the resorts keeps your wallet in the safe while you’re on vacation.
- Saint Lucia- may be more popular as a honeymoon destination but there are some great family friendly resorts and villas that can house multiple families, while at the same time offering great beaches and scenery that is to die for. You can hike or bike or horseback ride in the Pitons or take a mud bath at the Sulphur Springs. You can relax at the beach, pool or in the spa. We consider Saint Lucia to be the Kauai of the Caribbean— not your typical Caribbean island and once you visit, you’ll want to come back again and again.
- Bermuda— so close to the East Coast that you can be in a gorgeous island in 2 hours or so. Bermuda has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world as well as forts and underground caves and great shopping. While the beach season is really May-October, the rest of the year is ideal for golf, tennis, spa and exploring this beautiful island.
- Costa Rica--another top honeymoon destination, Costa Rica is ideal for active families who want adventure. From zip lining, hanging bridges, kayaking, ATV tours, horseback riding, and exploring wildlife, Costa Rica can be the perfect spot for the adventure seekers. While we don’t necessarily sell Costa Rica as a beach vacation, there are still some great beaches and beachfront resorts.
Did we get you thinking as well?
Here are some other destinations to think about— and none of them involve amusement parks or characters 🙂