Please share with a friend:
Your honeymoon should be the most special of your lives. Depending upon where you go, it might be longer than any other vacation you have taken before. It may also be more expensive than your past vacations. It may be to a more exotic destination or more romantic destination and it usually will take more careful planning than just booking airline tickets online.
So, when should you book your honeymoon?
According to the Knot’s Wedding Channel, you should book your honeymoon 4-6 months ahead of time. In a very unscientific poll on WeddingBee, almost 40% of couples booked their honeymoon between 7-8 months ahead and another 30% booked between 5 and 6 months ahead of their wedding date.
My Vacation Lady has been helping clients plan their dream honeymoons in as little as 6 weeks out to as long as 14 months out.
We recommend that you book around 6-9 months prior to your departure for a few good reasons:
- If you are headed to someplace exotic like Fiji or the Cook Islands, there are very limited flights. The flights don’t run daily and once that plane fills up, the airline isn’t going to add another flight.
- Airlines hold a certain % of seats open for airport check in only. The later you book, the harder it will be to assign seats on the plane for you.
- If you are planning on using frequent flier miles, the sooner you book, the better chance of being able to snag those limited frequent flier seats.
- If you are going to a destination with boutique properties, those resorts fill up quickly. If the property that you want only has 25 or 50 rooms, the later you book, the less of a chance of availability.
- If you want a specific room category, the sooner you book, the better the chances of getting that room. There is a boutique resort in Saint Lucia with only 6 cottages with a private pool. They book up very quickly so if you want that room, it’s best to book 9 months in advance. Some resorts in Fiji only have 20 rooms total. Again, you have a better chance of getting your choice of room if you book early.
- Many of the all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico will have early booking discounts. Those discounts decrease as it gets closer.
It’s never too early to start dreaming about your honeymoon and it’s never to early to start saving for your honeymoon. Waiting for the last minute to book your honeymoon may not be the best idea. It is likely to be stressful and frustrating so please plan on booking at least 6 months ahead of time.
My Vacation Lady is the top rated honeymoon specialist located in New Jersey on both Wedding Wire and the Knot’s Wedding Channel. We’ve been helping our clients plan their dream honeymoons since 1994. We won’t be the first to tell you that your honeymoon should be special but we are the right honeymoon specialist to make it special.