Greece is BACK! For a couple of years, My Vacation Lady didn’t get many requests for Greece vacations and honeymoons but this year, the demand is much stronger. We actually have a mother and daughter leaving for a short vacation to Greece this weekend.
So many of my clients want to bypass Athens and head right to the Greek Islands like Mykonos and Santorini. We try to recommend a couple of night stay in Athens, rather than just zipping out the next morning. Athens has so much history and culture that it is a shame not to experience it.
So what is there so see and do in Athens?
- Why not start your day or end your day with a view of the Acropolis? There are a number of hotels nearby that have rooftop restaurants or bars— the perfect place to eat or enjoy a cocktail with an amazing view. The rooftop Rood Garden Restaurant of the Grande Bretagne Hotel has one of the best views!
- Up for a hike? Get a fabulous view of the city with a hike up Lykavittos. The view from the observation platform near the St. George Chapel is fabulous. You can see as far as Piraeus (if it’s clear) but the view of the landmarks, like the Acropolis, Temple of Zeus and the Parliament Building are fabulous. It’s about a 30 minute climb but if you prefer, there is a Funicular, which departs every 30 minutes or so from Aristippou and Ploutarchou streets.
- Hit some markets. The Central Market is a lively place to eat with plenty of fresh food on the go. Check out the Athens Flea Market, where you can find cheap tee shirts or antique jewelry.
- Check out the new Acropolis Museum (open 8am to 8pm except for Mondays). The top floor mirrors the dimensions of the Parthenon.
- Don’t forget to enjoy the food!
For some more ideas CLICK HERE
Whether your vacation or honeymoon will take you near or far, My Vacation Lady can help make your dreams become reality.