So, you’re taking a vacation. How do you keep your home safe while you’re away?
- Ask close neighbors to keep an eye on your house while you’re away. We do this all the time with our next door neighbors and another down the block.
- Stop your newspaper delivery and mail or ask someone to pick it up.
- If it’s winter, arrange in advance for someone to shovel out your driveway and side walk. If it’s summer, arrange for your lawn to be mowed if you’ll be away for an extended amount of time.
- This one seems pretty self explanatory but—- make sure all your windows and doors are locked– even the little bathroom window on the 2nd floor of the house.
- Ask a neighbor to park one of their cars in your driveway and make sure it gets moved around during the time you’ll be gone.
- Put on timers so that lights go on and off in your house at the times that they normally would.
- Don’t close all of the blinds and curtains, unless you normally have them closed
- Make the house look lived in and not vacant
- Don’t change your personal voice mail to mention that you are away.
- Don’t post pictures from your vacation on social media until you return home
Vacations can be great fun and certainly reduce stress. The goal is to come back relaxed with your house the same way that you left it 🙂
My Vacation Lady is an award winning travel agency providing stressfree vacation and honeymoon planning.
Check out more tips every Tuesday on our Facebook page!