Please share with a friend:
Both Mykonos and Santorini have been our clients top choices but we recently had honeymooners return from Crete and they absolutely loved it.
What are some Honeymoon Worthy Experiences in the Greek Islands?
- Santorini is is known for it’s world famous sunsets and the best spot to view them is the town of Oia, the northernmost part of the island. The town overlooks 2 bays and the western bay, Ammoudi Bay has the best sunset views. Make a dinner reservation at a restaurant overlooking Ammoudi Bay and stay for the sunset.
- Staying in a cliffside hotel in a ‘cave like’ room with your a jacuzzi or private pool on your balcony is something you won’t find elsewhere.
- How about a romantic sunset cruise? And for those with larger budgets, we can offer a private cruise — just the 2 of you.
- What about a wine adventure tour and checking out Santorini wineries?
- To add a bit of history to the winery visits, you can combine it with a visit to the Akrotiri Excavations. Rumor has it that this is the City of Atlantis, a mythical city, frozen in time and now being uncovered from the ash of a volanic eruption from 3600 years ago.
- If you prefer food to history, you can take a cooking class in Santorini after visiting some wineries.
- Take a walk along the caldera path from Fira to Oia. It’s about 3 1/2 miles and should take around an hour to 2 hours (depending on how long you stop for photos). If you take this walk in the afternoon, stay in Oia for sunset.
- Take a boat ride out to Palia Kameni, one of the 2 volcanic islands in the middle of the Santorini caldera and take a sulphur mud bath and swim in the hot springs heated from the volcano.
Spend a day exploring the village of Mykonos, check out ‘Little Venice’ and stroll through the narrow streets and alley ways. Fun really starts in Mykonos when the sun goes down so plan to stay for dinner and the night life.
- Take a ferry over to Delos, which is the birthplace of Artemis and Apollo, according to Greek mythology. Just 2 miles from Mykonos, it’s rich in archaeological exhibits.
- Take a Jeep safari tour aound the hidden corners of Mykonos— some of which are only accessible by jeep. You’ll see some beautiful beaches, ruins of a Venetian Castle and so much more.
- There a a ton of amazing beaches are only accessible by boat and it’s worth it to take a South Coast Cruise to see some of them.
- Have a romantic breakfast or dinner for 2 overlooking the sea.
There is so much to see and do in Crete and it is often overlooked by honeymooners because it’s not as wall known for romance as Mykonos and Santorini but trust us, for our honeymooners that go to Crete- they love it.
- Visit Old Venetian Harbor and the Venetian lighthouse in the town of Chania. This waterfront town has a huge market that will can take a day to explore on it’s own. Expect to buy some of the olives, spices, cheeses or leather goods.
- Visit some of the secluded beaches that are secluded like Kyani Akti, Orthi Ammos or Damnoni Beach
- Take a jeep safari or go horseback riding
- Go for a long hike through the breathtaking gorge in Samaria National Park. It’s only for the real hikers— it can take 5 + hours and you might want to consider taking a tour if you are staying in Chania rather than driving.
- With more than 3000 caves on Crete, some like Milatos are very accessible. This one, in particular, has a small white chapel in it. If you see a sign for a cave, check it out but make sure to have on good walking shoes and a flashlight.
- For the history buffs, try visiting the war cemetery in Souda Bay.
- Check out Elounda which was once a fishing town and now is the “jet set” area of Crete.
- Go to Rethymno which is a fascinating old town with a maze of lanes and alleys that are mostly off limits to vehicles. Old Town sits at the base of a massive Venetian Fortress.
- Visiting the Palace of Knossos is a must do because its one of the most extensive and famous of the Minoan ancient ruins. There are other ruins around Crete, like the ruins of Gounia, which is a bit of a hidden gem.
- The big thing to do in Crete is to rent a car and explore the island on your own.
My Vacation Lady is the top rated honeymoon specialist in New Jersey according to the couples on Wedding Wire. When it comes to your honeymoon, don’t you deserve the best? You’ll see how our personal approach to honeymoon planning can make all the difference in your honeymoon experience!