New Yorkers- get your passports now

passport_stampsStarting in 2106, the standard drivers licenses issued in New York, New Hampshire, Louisiana, Minnesota and American Samoa will be considered non compliant and will not be considered valid ID to get on a domestic flight within the USA.

This isn’t something new— the Real ID Act was enacted back in 2005 but wasn’t put into effect immediately.  It will be going into effect starting sometime in 2016 and travelers from those states, who have the standard licenses will be warned that their driver’s licenses won’t be acceptable forms of ID for flights.

So if you are from New York, New Hampshire, Louisiana, Minnesota or American Samoa, what do you need to present for domestic flights?

Acceptable forms of ID are:

  • Passports
  • US military ID
  • Permanent resident cards
  • Trusted Traveler Cards such as Global Entry or NEXUS
  • Enhanced drivers licenses (which ARE available in both New York and Minnesota)

My Vacation Lady ALWAYS recommends getting passports since they are the best form of ID.  For adults, they are good for 10 years and 5 years for kids under 16.

Our motto is:  when in doubt, bring your passport AND make sure that the name on your airline ticket matches your form of ID



By |December 4th, 2015|Categories: All|Tags: , , , , |Comments Off on New Yorkers- get your passports now

About the Author:

Mindy Gilbert of My Vacation Lady has been helping clients, just like you, plan their dream vacations, cruises and honeymoons since 1994.