Once you have booked your wedding venue and some of the other important stuff for the wedding (music, officiant, etc), the really fun stuff starts—- planning the HONEYMOON!
As a top rated honeymoon specialist, My Vacation Lady has been helping our clients plan their dream honeymoons for many years and over those years, we’ve gathered a few tips to pass on.
Here are 10 tips to help you plan your perfect honeymoon
1. Sit down to figure out what kind of honeymoon you want to have. Are you looking for a tropical beach honeymoon? Do you want an adventure? Do you want a combination of beach and activities? What about culture and sightseeing? This is your honeymoon— it can be anything you want it to be.
2. Talk about your budget — both the time you want to spend away and the money you are comfortable spending. Both time and money can put restrictions on your honeymoon so try to figure out both ahead of time.
3. When do you want to leave for your honeymoon— When Mr and Mrs. My Vacation Lady got married, we left the morning after the wedding. Do we recommend that to our clients—- NO. If you are getting married on a Saturday, try to wait until Monday or Tuesday to depart. Some of our honeymooners are waiting a couple of weeks or even, months after the wedding, before taking their honeymoon.
4. Talk about the kind of hotel or resort you want. Boutique and intimate or larger and lots of activities -both day and night? Do you want an all inclusive resort or a property that doesn’t include meals and where you can experience the local cuisine? Do you want an adult only resort or are you ok if there will be kids around? Do you want a beach resort? Do you want a hotel with a pool? How important is a spa? Do you want a hotel unique to the area or modern and chic? These are some of the questions that we’ll ask you about your honeymoon dreams.
5. Think about the time you can be away. If you only have a week, a honeymoon to Fiji may not be the right destination because of the time it takes to get there. You can easily check how long it takes to travel to some destinations and even check some flight itineraries online. That may help you identify some locations that may be a bit too far to the time that you have for your honeymoon.
6. Plan activities during your stay. You can pre-book activities and excursions before you leave or arrange some when you get there. But, keep in mind— if you are going to wait to book when you get there, do it early so that you can be sure that you get the date and time you prefer. We’ll give you info on what there is to see in your destination so that you can pre-plan or at least know what you can see and do before you go. Unless you are the type who can’t sit still, do plan on some down time– remember, you will want to relax and recuperate after the big day.
7. Schedule a surprise for your spouse. How about a romantic dinner on the beach or a couples spa treatment? We get many calls from our grooms who want to arrange a surprise for their brides during the honeymoon, as well as from the bride trying to do the same.
8. Check to make sure your passports are valid. If they are due to expire, renew them now. For travel to some countries, your passport will need to be valid for 6 months after your date of return. Rather than waiting for the last minute, pull out your passports and renew them now, if you need to.
9. Make your honeymoon as unique as you are. This may be your “once in a lifetime” special vacation that you have ever planned so plan something that matches both of your personalities. You want to create memories on your honeymoon.
10. Hire a honeymoon specialist who can envision your dream honeymoon. Let a trained professional do the work. Travel agents also know where to look for upgrades, especially for honeymooners.
My Vacation Lady won’t be the first to tell you that your honeymoon should be special but we are the right honeymoon specialists to make is special.