Please share with a friend:
‘Tis the season— summer storm season that is!
Did you realize that more flights were delayed due to summer weather related issues from May-July of 2014 than those delayed due to winter storms this past December, January and February, at least in the New York region airports.
While we may not be in peak hurricane season yet (that normally starts mid August), we are in peak Thunderstorm season.
So what are some tips to help get you through traveling during Thunderstorm Season?
1. Book the earliest flight possible.
- you’ll be less likely to encounter a thunderstorm in the morning
- you’ll have a better chance of catching another flight the same day
2. If you are taking a cruise or escorted tour, book your flights at least 1 day prior to your cruise or tour departure, just in case.
3. Pack a complete change of clothes in a carry on just in case your luggage is in the holding area of the airport and you have to overnight at a hotel.
4. Check your flight status before leaving for the airport
5. Travel insurance can assist in weather related delays so we always recommend travel insurance. Each policy may have different requirements before weather related delays take effect so always read your policy carefully.
Rain and thunderstorms are huge reasons for weather related flight delays so always pack a book or your kindle, some snacks and lots of patience. You’ll probably forget all about the travel delay, once you get to your vacation destination.
For more travel tips, follow My Vacation Lady on Facebook. Every Tuesday, we post a new travel tip that you may find interesting.
We won’t just book your trip. My Vacation Lady will help plan your vacation or honeymoon experience.