There are many of my friends and clients who will pack for their vacation the morning of their flight. I certainly can’t but if you are one of those last minute packers— more power to you.
When planning your vacation or honeymoon, there are a few things that you SHOULD NOT LEAVE UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE:
- Check to make sure your passport is valid for at least 3 months after your date of return (you’ll need 6 months in some cases). USA Today has a list of those countries that require your passport to be valid for 6 months from your date of return.
- Confirm what travel documents you need- if you need a Visa- do you need to apply for it online or mail in your passport?
- Check to see if you need immunizations or vaccines- if you are headed to South America or parts of Asia, Africa or even the South Pacific, check out the CDC’s Traveler’s Health site for info on vaccines you may need.
- Call your bank to make sure your credit or debit cards will be able to be used in your vacation destination. Will your PIN work in Europe? Do you need a card with a chip?
- Check the luggage policy and fees for your airlines- (We can’t vouch for the accuracy of this cheat sheet but it is pretty handy)
- Check the luggage policy for connecting airlines- Just as a for instance, if you are headed to Tahiti, the carry on you use on the Air Tahiti Nui flight from LAX may exceed the limit on the flight from Moorea to Bora Bora
- Figure out what adapters and converters you may need. Sometimes you can “rent” an adapter from the front desk of the hotel or buy them at an exorbitant rate at your destination but a quick visit to Target or Walmart can solve the need for about $5.
- Not sure what the difference is between an electric converter or adapter? Learn what the difference is from Spud Hilton at BadLatitudeTV
- Arrange for a pet sitter and arrange for someone to pick up your mail (if you aren’t stopping it).
- Don’t wait until your vacation to break in new shoes— (or bring plenty of bandaids!)
Do you have some great travel tips that you would like to share with us? Email email@example.com and we’ll share it on our Tuesday Travel Tip on in another blog post.
My Vacation Lady is an award winning travel agency that is committed to creating your dream honeymoon or vacation experience.