Back in early February, My Vacation Lady had a consultation with Mark and Erin for their June honeymoon.  When we spoke we had four months to plan their dream honeymoon to the Tahitian islands.  It’s wasn’t quite as much time as we usually like to have for Tahiti since many hotels have discounts if you book 120+ days in advance and we were really coming up on that cut off.

Over Water Bungalows at the St Regis Bora Bora

Over Water Bungalows at the St Regis Bora Bora

Well, it took Mark and Erin a while to decide on how they wanted to move forward and they finally decided to start planning their honeymoon to Tahiti in early March.  We were past the date for the 120 day discounts and at that point and were very close to missing out on the lower discounts (if you book 90+ days in advance) but I was hopeful that we could still plan a wonderful honeymoon.

As I do, I offer my clients choices in itineraries and resorts so I sent Mark and Erin some sample Tahiti itineraries to review.  It did take them about a week to get back to me with their hotel choices and what experiences they were most interested in doing.  Within 2 days, I had their proposal options ready for them.  This was now mid March (so we missed out on the 90+ day booking discounts).  We tweaked the proposal a bit and by the time we were ready to deposit the itinerary, the Bora Bora hotel was completely sold out.

Yes, completely sold out.   The properties in Bora Bora are small– 100 or less rooms so in peak season (June-September), these hotels sell out quickly.

What should we do now?  Can they change their dates?  Pick a new hotel?  What about the budget, which was already at their limit?

We played around some more— offered more proposals with 3 nights in Tahiti with a jeep waterfall tour and some time for shopping and hitting the Roulettes, 6 in Moorea and that moved the Bora Bora dates back far enough to find availability at their hotel and we offered other hotel choices.  They decided to skip Tahiti and spend 9 nites in Moorea and then 5 in Bora Bora.  They actually got 3 more days that originally planned.  They have their first choice hotels and they are thrilled.

Other downsides to waiting so long to book— the flights between Moorea and Bora Bora were also sold out so they have a late flight from Moorea back through Tahiti to get to Bora Bora.  We’ve waitlisted the earlier time flight and we’ll hope that it comes through.

What is My Vacation Lady’s recommendation on when to book your honeymoon?   If possible- 6-9 months before departure.   Six months is the time that many of our clients will book their honeymoons and we usually will see good availability that far out.  If you are booking less than 4 months out, you may need to be a bit flexible- like Mark and Erin were.

As the top rated honeymoon specialist located in New Jersey according to the couples on both Wedding Wire and the Knot, My Vacation Lady  will try to work our magic when it comes to finding your dream honeymoon and turning it into reality.