Please share with a friend:
What’s your definition of a “Foodie”? If you look it up it might be defined as a gourmand or a person with a particular interest in food. My Vacation Lady’s definition may be a bit different but when we ask our honeymooners if they are foodies, we mean:
- are you adventurous eaters?
- will you try food from a food truck or a local hole in the wall restaurant all the way up to gourmet restaurants?
- do you prefer farm to table cuisine, fresh off the boat seafood, the best ingredients?
If you fit any of these descriptions, you may want a unique dining experience included in your honeymoon. We won’t be talking about any particular destination as being the best for foodies but rather some experiences that a foodie might really appreciate.
Over the next few weeks, we’ll talk about different types of unique food experiences that you enjoy during your honeymoon.
Food Truck and Street Food Experiences:
- What is more unique than a marina side food truck stand in Papeete? The Roulette food experience is something unique to the island of Tahiti. About 2 dozen food trucks will come out in the early evening, set up picnic tables (some with with table cloths) and service huge portions of meals for really reasonable pricing. You can get everything from burgers and pizza to cerviche to Chinese cuisine, Indian cuisine and local seafood. The prices (by Tahiti standards) are dirt cheap and you can easily eat a full meal for between $10-15 US.
- If you are going to be in Oahu, checking out the Shrimp Trucks on the North Shore is a must do. For about $15 you can get a large portion of garlic shrimp with a heaping portion of rice. Make sure to bring some wet wipes with you because you’ll need it! Bring a magic marker with you to sign the truck, too.
- So that Maui and Kauai don’t feel left out, food trucks are cropping up in Kapaa in Kauai and up and down the west coast of Maui!
- If you are in St Martin, head up to Grand Case and check out the lolos. These are permanent outdoor stands set up along the boulevard and facing the ocean. They serve fresh fish to ribs, grilled chicken and mac and cheese and Caribbean favorites. If you are in Phillipsburg, check out the Suriname food trucks for some great Chicken Sate!
- For a bit of Mexican authenticity, try some of the street food in Isla Mujeres. You can get churros, empanadas, cakes and more. Check out the fish tacos in the Mango Cafe (reported to be the best on the island). These little hole in the wall type restaurants and stands may not necessarily be food trucks but they sure are great to try for local street food in Isla Mujeres.
- The Naked Fisherman (a St Lucia restaurant) has a food truck that serves up Fish and Chips, Snow Crab Claws, Jerk Chicken and more in different locations in the island. Check their website for their schedule.
- Even the gourmet capital of the world, Paris, has recently started their new culinary trend of food trucks selling gourmet burgers, tacos and enchiladas, fish and chips, mozzarella salads and Vietnamese Bahn Mi.
- While New York, Los Angeles, Miami and Chicago are dominating the US food truck scene, head across the pond for London’s food trucks. What started as a trend a few years ago has turned into a huge part of London’s dining experiences. From Indian, to Vietnamese to fish and chips, burgers and hot dogs to tacos and paella, you won’t get bored with the variety in London.
- We would be remiss if we didn’t mention Rome’s street food. Of course, pizza was made to be eaten standing up but arrancini and suppli (fried rice balls) are one of the crispy treats that makes Rome’s street food fabulous.
- Bangkok’s street food scene is legendary and the big focus of many Thai food trucks is Western- American style street food, like hot dogs and hamburgers, pizza. Of course you can still find local favorites on food trucks as well.
My Vacation Lady is always trying to make your honeymoon as unique as you are and we’ll try to add fun little things for you to do that you may not be able to experience else where. So if you are looking for a honeymoon experience rather than just a trip, contact the honeymoon specialists at My Vacation Lady to see how our personal approach to honeymoon planning will make a difference in your honeymoon planning experience.