Please share with a friend:
The list is getting shorter– we admit it. With all of the Caribbean now on the CDC list for active Zika Virus Transmission, if you want a tropical destination to get away from the cold this winter, your options are somewhat limited.
My Vacation Lady just received an email from Craig. He honeymooned in Hawaii 2 years ago and now wanted to go somewhere in early December to celebrate his wife, Alyssa’s 30th birthday. He emailed me about a 10 day vacation to the Big Island of Hawaii. They didn’t get there on their honeymoon and it is still listed as Zika free. Had it not been for Zika, they would have gladly gone to the Caribbean or Mexico for a much closer vacation.
So where can you go this winter for warm weather, beaches and sunshine that are Zika Free?
- Bermuda– although their beach season is shorter than the Caribbean, the weather is pleasant in the winter. It may not be beach weather in January or February but you can still likely enjoy the sunshine and warmer weather in the middle of the winter. It’s also great golf and spa season in the winter. The temperatures will typically average in mid to high 60’s to low 70’s in the winter
- Hawaii– the Hawaiian Islands are still listed as not having any locally acquired cases of Zika. With lovely weather year round, Hawaii is a great destination for a Zika free winter vacation. Another plus— it’s also whale watching season
- Thailand– the winter months are the peak season for visiting Thailand. With beautiful beach destinations like Phuket, Koh Samui and Krabi (just to name a few), you can combine beach with some culture when you visit Bangkok or Chiang Mai
- San Diego- with no locally acquired cases of Zika in California, San Diego might be another great warm weather getaway in the winter. It won’t be hot but it certainly won’t be snowing. San Deigo has great weather for golf, spa, strolling through the gardens in Balboa Park or spending a day in the San Diego Zoo or just enjoying the great food! High temperatures in November through March are usually in the 60’s.
- Austin, Texas- with some of the best barbecue in the country, Austin will be warm and chock full of adventures. While you won’t be on the beach, you can take an illuminated glass bottom kayak excursion on Lake Travis, or rent kayaks, water bikes, or sail boats. With temperatures in the 60’s in January and hitting the 70’s in March, Austin may not be a hot weather destination but it will be warmer than New York the northeast.
- Savannah Georgia- this charming little city in the Peach State is full of history, culture and outstanding Southern cuisine. Temperatures are typically in the 60’s in the winter, so while not beachy, it will be warmer weather for many in the colder climates.
- Los Angeles- With lots of sunshine and temperatures in the 60’s, Los Angeles would be a welcome escape for many of us in the North East. You can walk along the beaches, check out some of the TV studios and enjoy some time at some theme parks.
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates– With temperatures in the 70’s and 80’s in the winter months, Dubai is a nonstop action kind of beach destination. While you won’t get the over water bungalows and private beaches, you can find lots of excitement and warm weather. With some great flights for the north east to Dubai, it’s not as terribly far as you might think
- Australia- Our winter is Australia’s summer. With miles of beaches along the Sunshine Coast or the Western Coast (Fremantle, Broom or even Perth), this winter may be a great time to head down under.
My Vacation Lady always advises you to check with your physician before heading to any destination on the CDC list, if you are pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant. We can help you find destinations that will be warmer and zika free for your next vacation or for your honeymoon.