My Vacation Lady loves Hawaii. It’s one of our favorite destinations and we would love to go there many, many times a year but with the flights from the East Coast being as long as they are, we can’t get there as often as we would like. Each time we go back to Hawaii, we get to see, experience and learn something new about the islands.
One of the last times we were in Maui, we had lunch with the sales manager of one of my favorite resorts in Maui. She is a fellow New Yorker and we chatted about what you can’t get in Hawaii vs. New York and some prices.
Did you know that a gallon of milk can cost over about $7.50 per gallon (but you might be able to get it at Costco for about $5.00?
Yes, there are Costcos, as well as Walmarts and Walmart is one of the best place to buy souvenirs.
Here are some other surprising or not so surprising things about Hawaii:
- Hawaiians have a love affair with SPAM- yes, the canned meat-not the junk email
- Sunset doesn’t vary as much as it does between seasons as it does elsewhere. It typically gets dark around 5:50pm in December and 7:20 pm in July
- Gas is about $1 more per gallon than it is in New Jersey and Costco is usually the cheapest place to buy gas.
- You can’t get Entenmann’s chocolate chip cookies in Hawaii but you can get some of the best Portuguese malasadas, Hawaiian sweetbread cookies and HULA pie.
- While most people hit the beaches in Hawaii, some go snow skiing on the Big Island
- Hawaii is the only U.S. state that grows coffee
- There are only 12 letters in the Hawaiian alphabet
- The Big Island is actually expanding in size due to the volcanic lava
- The highest recorded temperature is 96′ F (Honolulu Airport), but temperatures over 92′ F generally occur only once or twice a year
- Iolani Palace is the only royal palace in the United States
- The island is the worldwide leader in harvesting macadamia nuts and orchids
Let My Vacation Lady help you plan your dream vacation or honeymoon to Hawaii!