Since there is nothing fun, romantic or even exciting about travel insurance, why write yet another blog post about it? Because we just had clients lose out on 1 night of their honeymoon due to a flight cancellation.
On July 15, 2018, as My Vacation Lady was stuck in the Fort Lauderdale airport waiting for our very delayed flight to Newark, one of our honeymoon clients had their flight cancelled. There were storms in and around Newark and after sitting on the tarmac for 4 hours (the maximum amount of time allowed) the airline cancelled our client’s flight to Turks and Caicos. The airline rescheduled them for the next day BUT they lost an entire day at their luxury beachfront resort. They declined travel insurance because they never take it. This time, they should have.
According to TODAY Travel Editor, Peter Greenberg, these are some good reasons to buy travel insurance:
Reasons to buy travel insurance
1. Your flight has been cancelled.
2. Your bags are lost and your medication is in it. You need to have an emergency prescription filled.
3. Your passport and wallet are stolen, and you need emergency cash and a replacement passport.
4. You’re involved in an accident and adequate medical treatment is not available. You need medical evacuation.
5. You need to cancel your trip due to illness.
6. Your cruise line, airline or tour operator goes bankrupt. You need your non-refundable expenses covered and to get to your destination.
7. You have a medical emergency in a foreign country.
8. A terrorist incident occurs in the city where you’re planning to visit and you want to cancel your trip.
9. A hurricane forces you to evacuate your resort, hotel or cruise.
Travel insurance won’t add to your vacation or honeymoon experience but it can certainly help when you need it.
My Vacation Lady always recommends travel insurance and while we are not insurance sales people, we do have various options that will help you make the best choice in the type of travel insurance to protect your honeymoon or vacation investment.