A few weeks ago, My Vacation Lady did a very un-scientific survey on where today’s honeymooners are going vs. where their parents went 30 + years ago. Even though this was done on Facebook over one weekend in February, asking my colleagues, facebook friends and clients, the results were actually very interesting!
Way in the days of old, Mr and Mrs My Vacation Lady honeymooned in Mexico City and Acapulco. It was booked through a travel agent with a travel supplier called Carefree David (which closed down in 1986) but it was revolutionary because they coordinated a 2 stop honeymoon to Mexico before this type of vacation became popular. I have to be honest, my sister did a similar honeymoon 2 years prior. When it came to my sister and my children, 3 honeymooned in Hawaii (2011 and 2015) and one honeymooned in Antigua in 2016.
These are the results of my very unscientific survey:
Between 1963 and 1997, most of the honeymoons taken were relatively close to home.
- Florida, Disney World, Niagara Falls, drive locations and the Poconos were popular.
- Acapulco and the Caribbean was the furthest anyone went in the 1970’s.
- In the 1980’s a few went to Hawaii and one went to England (husband’s relatives lived there). Again, the rest were Bermuda, Acapulco and drive honeymoons.
- In the 1990’s, Cancun and Jamaica because more popular honeymoon destinations.
Let’s fast forward to the 21st century:
- Between 2000 and 2010, honeymooners were venturing much further from home.
- Multi- destination honeymoons were becoming more common.
- All inclusive resorts became very popular
Honeymooners went to:
- Costa Rica
- Riviera Maya and Cabo San Lucas (2 newer vacation spots)
- Caribbean islands like- St Lucia, Antigua, Nevis, Punta Cana, Aruba, Jamaica, Bahamas
- They took cruises to Europe, Around Tahiti and in the Caribbean
In the most recent decade, our honeymooners are venturing even further and to more exotic places:
- Hawaii was the most popular destination- multiple islands with Maui, Kauai and the Big Island being more popular than Oahu (Waikiki)
- Asia – Japan, Bali, Thailand – all multiple destinations.
- South Pacific was popular- Australia, New Zealand, Tahiti, Fiji and combinations of a couple of different areas (like New Zealand and Fiji)
- Europe- Spain, the Netherlands, Greece, Italy, France, Iceland and Croatia- again, multiple city honeymoons. Combinations of Italy and Greece were popular, as well as other multi- country honeymoons
- Mexico- adult only all inclusive resorts were top choices
- Caribbean- some of the lesser known islands became very popular- St Lucia, Antigua, Barbados, Grenada, along with the favorites, Aruba, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Bermuda.
Whether you are looking for a multi country honeymoon or a relaxing all inclusive resort honeymoon, My Vacation Lady can help