This really isn’t going to be a list of everything you need to pack for your honeymoon to Hawaii but more about what you might not have considered packing
Some of this will depend on which islands you’ll be visiting but some are more generic:
Things you might not have thought of:
- REEF SAFE Sunscreen (check this list of approved and not approved sunscreen if you plan to go into the ocean)
- Your GPS or your phone navigation app.
- Your Automobile Association of American (AAA) card. Yes, they do have AAA in Hawaii. Trust me, we needed it when Mr. My Vacation Lady ended up in a ditch while trying to make a U-turn
- Mosquito repellent- especially if you are planning on going hiking through the rain forest.
- Your driver’s license. If you are traveling with your passport, you’ll still need your driver’s license to rent the car.
- A credit card in your name—NOT a DEBIT CARD. You will need this to rent a car as well.
- A jacket, scarf and gloves- if you are planning on going to the top of Haleakala or the Visitors Center at Mauna Kea. Even if it’s 80 degrees at sea level, it can be 50 degrees or less at the top and when the wind blows, it can be downright cold. Yes, we were above the clouds at Haleakala!
Things you might think you don’t need:
1. Sneakers or walking shoes- especially if you are doing some hiking.
2. Water shoes – definitely for the black sand beaches. The sand is hot!
3. Slippers (no, not house slippers)– this is what Flip Flops are called in Hawaii and they are definitely part of the casual attire worn on the islands.
4. A sweater or light jacket— it can get cooler at night
5. A rain poncho- we got caught in a down pour on the Road to Hana on our way to a waterfall. A rain poncho would have really come in handy 🙂
Some things you should always pack for a tropical honeymoon:
1. Good sunscreen— Hawaii is closer to the equator so the sun is stronger. (note: reef save sunscreen for snorkeling or swimming in the ocean)
2. An extra pair of contact lenses or glasses.
4. A hat
5. Extra bathing suits (nothing is worse than putting on a damp bathing suit)
6. A beach bag
My Vacation Lady is a top rated honeymoon specialist as well as a Hawaii Destination Specialist. We won’t be the first to tell you that your honeymoon to Hawaii should be special but we certainly will help make it special!