The REAL ID start date has been delayed until October 1, 2021

My Vacation Lady plans LOTS of vacations and honeymoons to Hawaii and for those of us in the United States, we don’t need passports for Hawaii.

Recently, we spoke to a honeymoon couple from New Jersey who will be traveling to Hawaii in October of 2020 and IF they don’t have the real ID, they will need to travel with their passports.

With the COVID-19, this has been delayed for 1 year but PLEASE don’t delay and please do get the REAL ID as soon as you are able.

So what is this REAL ID?


NOW, beginning October 1, 2021, every air traveler 18 years of age and older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, state-issued enhanced driver’s license, or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the United States.

Check for the star.

REAL ID-compliant cards are marked with a star at the top of the card. If you’re not sure, contact your state driver’s license agency on how to obtain a REAL ID compliant card.

New Jersey is one of the states in the US that is not entirely set up for issuing REAL ID driver’s licenses.

Here are some valid REAL ID’s

Adult passengers 18 and over must show valid identification at the airport checkpoint in order to travel.

  • Driver’s licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • State-issued Enhanced Driver’s License
  • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver’s license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential

In coordination with its DHS counterparts, TSA has identified acceptable alternate identification for use in special circumstances at the checkpoint.

Read more here

Don’t wait until the last minute and please do get your REAL ID.  Otherwise, you will need a passport to fly – even domestically.

My Vacation Lady is top rated travel agency located in New Jersey.  We help hundreds of clients every year plan their vacations and honeymoons to destinations near and far.  When we ask for your drivers licenses or passports, it is to ensure that you have the valid identification to fly.

Let us help plan your dream honeymoon or your next vacation.  Contact us today