The REAL ID was supposed to be a requirement for domestic travel on October 1, 2021.  GUESS WHAT???

For the 3rd time it’s been pushed back and now until May 3, 2023 due to covid 19

With the COVID-19, this has been delayed from 2020 to 2021 and now to May 2023 but PLEASE don’t delay and please do get the REAL ID as soon as you are able.

The United States Department of Homeland Security on Tuesday announced that the DHS was extending the REAL ID full enforcement date by 19 months, from Oct. 1, 2021, until May 3, 2023, because of the impact of COVID-19 on the enforcement.

The news means that most Americans who want to travel domestically on an airplane without a passport or enhanced driver’s license will be able to do so until at least May 2023.

After that, every air traveler 18-years or older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, a state-issued enhanced driver’s license, or a passport in order to get through TSA security checkpoints for domestic travel.

According to the DHS, the pandemic “significantly impacted states’ ability to issue REAL ID-compliant driver’s licenses and identification cards, with many driver’s licensing agencies still operating at limited capacity.”

So what is this REAL ID?


NOW, beginning May 3, 2023, every air traveler 18 years of age and older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, state-issued enhanced driver’s license, or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the United States.

Check for the star.

REAL ID-compliant cards are marked with a star at the top of the card. If you’re not sure, contact your state driver’s license agency on how to obtain a REAL ID compliant card.

New Jersey is one of the states in the US that is not entirely set up for issuing REAL ID driver’s licenses.

Here are some valid REAL ID’s

Adult passengers 18 and over must show valid identification at the airport checkpoint in order to travel.

  • Driver’s licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • State-issued Enhanced Driver’s License
  • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver’s license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential

In coordination with its DHS counterparts, TSA has identified acceptable alternate identification for use in special circumstances at the checkpoint.

Read more here

Don’t wait until the last minute and please do get your REAL ID.  Otherwise, you will need a passport to fly – even domestically.

My Vacation Lady is top rated travel agency located in New Jersey.  We help hundreds of clients every year plan their vacations and honeymoons to destinations near and far.  When we ask for your drivers licenses or passports, it is to ensure that you have the valid identification to fly.

Let us help plan your dream honeymoon or your next vacation.  Contact us today

**********WEDDING WIRE and THE KNOT APPROVED**********