Please share with a friend:
What makes Croatia such a great honeymoon destination?
Croatia is truly a hidden gem that American travelers are just starting to explore more and more. It is a perfect combination of the turquoise waters of the Adriatic and cobble stoned streets of the old cities that give it a perfect romantic feeling perfect for honeymooners.
If the couple wants to be away from crowds, there are many places for them to have some peace and solitude. On the other hand, if they like to be in places to enjoy restaurants and bars, Croatia has to offer that as well.
Along with a rich history, beautiful national parks and over 1200 islands, Croatia is a haven for people who like fine dining and wine. All these put together in one honeymoon can satisfy most demanding travelers- especially when they get high end service for much less when comparing it to other destinations in Europe and elsewhere.
What is the best time of year to go?
Anytime between May and October is good but to avoid high crowds do not travel during July and August. After April going into May the weather stabilizes and, especially on the sea coast, the touring should be very pleasant.
What is the perfect length of stay in Croatia?
Croatia has a lot of cities and destinations that are worth visiting. To see the highlights of Croatia, we suggest including day cruises to explore hidden secrets of the Adriatic sea but also experience Zagreb (the capital) and National Park Plitvice Lakes (a must see highlight), we recommend that the trip is at least 9 nights 10 days long. This way we would have overnights in Zagreb, Zadar, Split and Dubrovnik and have the ability to explore nearby area while at the destination.
What type of unique resorts or accommodations makes Croatia great for honeymooners?
In the past couple of years, boutique small unique hotels are more and more present in Croatia so these hotels give special feeling compared to being in big resorts and big hotels. Most of these hotels are close to the beach or city center.
What are some must see/must do/must experience for honeymooners?
1) Private day cruises in Croatia– Explore islands with private boat and the captain to enjoy the nature and peaceful hidden beaches and bays for just the 2 of you. It’s one of the best experiences to have in Croatia. Some of the most common destinations for one day cruises are Island Brac, Island Hvar, NP Kornat, Elaffiti islands near Dubrovnik. To take this to next level, may we suggest a romantic a meal just for you on one of the hidden beaches?
2) Fine dinning– When we say fine dining, we don’t necessarily mean high-end super expansive restaurants but we think more of a local family owned farms and restaurants that don’t care about the mass tourism but care about the quality of the food and keep traditional ways of preparing food.
3) Visit Dubrovnik- Considered to be the Pearl of the Adriatic, Dubrovnik is breathtaking from any view. See postcard perfect views while walking around the 82 foot high city walls or after a climb to the top of Mount Srd’ or just strolling along the main street in the Old Town. Dubrovnik is an ideal base for some day trips and activities like horse-riding in the countryside, wine and culinary tours or just a day to relax on the beach beside the shimmering blue sea.
4) Visit Zadar– Zadar is said to have the most beautiful sunsets in the world. Along the water front, Zadar has a Sea Organ – a unique architectural “underwater staircase” that has musical pipes installed beneath the surface of the sea to create amazing sounds as the waves hit. The “Greetings to the Sun” sidewalk is made of solar panels that change colors as the sun sets, just beside the Sea Organ.
5) Visit National Park Plitvice Lakes- NP Plitvice Lakes is considered the most beautiful natural wonders in all of Croatia and possibly, one of the most beautiful in the world. Sixteen beautiful crystal clear blue-green lakes are fed by many small streams and brooks which all spill into each other in foaming cascades and thundering waterfalls. Due to their unique beauty, this park is on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
6) Visit Rovinj- It’s where Croatia meets Italy, where street signs are in Italian and Croatian. This is a foodies paradise with a strong Italian influence combined with the seafood fresh from the Adriatic and truffles and wine from the inland part of the peninsula. Wander through narrow cobblestone streets surrounding a Venetian Bell Tower.
7) Cooking class & Wine tastings– Learning Croatian specialties while sipping great local wine is a great way for couples to hang out and have a great time. Usually this classes are organized in a very idyllic locations for even better local experience.
What would an average honeymoon cost in Croatia for a 7 day honeymoon in 4-5 star accommodations for 2 without airfare:
Croatia is more moderately priced, than much of Europe and a budget of $5000-7500 would be a good estimate for a 7 night honeymoon. Of course, this depends on time of the year and experiences included but an average package that would give them great local experience for 9-10 days would run about $8-10,000.
What would be YOUR idea of a perfect honeymoon itinerary in Croatia for a combination of romance and a bit of excursions/activities/siteseeing?
It would definitely be the combination of land and cruise. Depending on a number of days and their interest there are many possible combinations. We like to start in Zagreb, the capital, and work their way down to Dubrovnik, where they would fly home from. On this itinerary, the couple can experience combination of food & wine experiences in each region, have 2 day cruises in Zadar and Dubrovnik, and stay in boutique centrally located hotels. There are so many natural beauty and cultural and historic sights that we can recommend for them to visit in Zagreb, Plitvice Lakes, Zadar, Split, Hvar, and Dubrovnik. If we have more time than 10 days, going into Istria region is a must- visiting Rovinj, Poreč and Motovun.
In each of the destinations we would prepare honeymoon upgrade in hotels and do romantic dinners either in the restaurants, boat, or the beach. Days would be filled with various activities such as local sightseeing, wine tastings, and of course, leisure time for them to enjoy the beach.
If there was 1 tip that you can give a honeymoon couple about why they should pick your destination, what would it be?
If their Mediterranean fantasies feature balmy days by sapphire waters in the shade of ancient walled towns, Croatia is the place to for them turn it into reality.
Thank you to our friends at Via Tours Croatia for providing this insight and the photos that went into this blog post.
If Croatia sounds like a good match for your honeymoon, contact My Vacation Lady for help planning your dream honeymoon to Croatia . As the top rated honeymoon specialist in New Jersey, according to the couples on both Wedding Wire and the Knot, My Vacation Lady can help turn your honeymoon dreams into reality. We won’t be the first to tell you that your honeymoon should be special but we are the best honeymoon specialists to make your honeymoon special!