So many of us have our favorite beaches in the Hawaiian Islands. It’s so hard to narrow them down.
This year, the readers of Hawaii Magazine have voted for their top 5 beaches in Maui.
Let’s see if you agree:
- Ka’anapali Beach – stretched in front of some of the most popular resorts in Maui, the clear waters at Kāʻanapali Beach are perfect for snorkeling (especially in front of Black Rock). Its coastline extends for over a mile and a cement walkway runs parallel to the beach and features the occasional hammock, shopping kiosks and shaded bungalows. NOT TO MISS: the daily sunset lele kawa (cliff jumping) ceremony, which takes place on Puʻu Kekaʻa (aka Black Rock).
- Kapalua Bay- in the northwest area of Maui, Kapalua Bay has plenty of sand to stretch out on, showers to help get the salt off and a public restroom. It also has a reef teeming with sea life, located on the north end of the beach along the rocky edge. With no lifeguards on duty, don’t snorkel alone.
- Makena Beach- Big Beach- this mile-and-a-half long beach earns its nick name. When waves are small, the beach makes for a great place with lots of room to lay your towel. When waves are ripping, bodysurfers head to Mākena for its heavy shorebreak. If you’re looking for something a bit quieter, just over the rocky hillside on the beach’s northern point lies Little Beach, which also happens to be clothing optional.
- Napili Bay– A bit more low-key than the rest, Nāpili Bay is perfect for people in search of great beaches without the crowds. When the surf is calm, the beach is great for snorkeling, and honu (Hawaiian green sea turtles) often show up at Nāpili Bay’s reefs, just offshore.
- Wailea Beach– located in front of two 5 star resorts—the Four Seasons and the Grand Wailea Maui, Wailea Beach fits the area’s glamorous image, with pristine white sands, calm waters and views of Kahoʻolawe, Molokini and Lānaʻi. Since all beaches are public, this beach attracts hotel guests and local families alike, and bathroom facilities and showers here are well maintained.
My Vacation Lady is a top rated vacation and honeymoon planner, specializing in Hawaii. In uncertain times, why leave your Hawaii vacation to chance. The team at My Vacation Lady can help plan your Hawaii honeymoon or vacation so you can have a seamless and stress free trip.