This was the first time we went on an international vacation with our grandsons- 4 and 2 years old. My daughter in law asked about family friendly resorts in the Cancun/Playa Mujeres area and I asked if we could come too and then suggested a couple.
First and foremost, the resort needed a toddler sized water park, nice and calm beaches, great pools, lots of restaurants and good food.
The resort we chose was the Hyatt Ziva Cancun. We’ve never been there before but only heard very good feedback from my colleagues and decided to give it a try.
We booked 2 oceanfront rooms. The king bedded rooms come with a sofa bed and there are some that can connected to a room with 2 double beds. In order to get them to be guaranteed connecting, there is a fee. Otherwise, My Vacation Lady can request it for you when we book your reservation.
According to the hotel website, it includes
- Minibar stocked daily with water, beer, soft drinks, and snacks (which we took full advantage of)
- Bathrobes & Slippers
- Unlimited Dining (they don’t mention that their food is really, really good for an all inclusive)
- 3 Infinity Pools (including a gorgeous rooftop adult only infinity pool for the Turquoise guests only)
- Endless Drinks
- 8 Dining Venues (1 is adult only. Only the Hibachi needed advance reservations. They had one of the best buffets that I have ever been to- and we are NOT buffet people)
- 10 Bars & Lounges
- Oceanfront Dining (loved the beachside Mexican restaurant for lunch that we went multiple times)
- Fitness Center (didn’t use it- we got our steps in from walking around the resort)
- KidZ Club & @Moods Teen Lounge & Club (my grandsons LOVED the kids club from the little water park, cooking classes, arts and crafts, to video games and sports)
- Microbrewery (this was probably the only place we didn’t try)
- Free Wi-Fi
- Premium Top Shelf Wines & Liquors
- 24-Hour Room Service
- Non-Motorized Water Sports
- Aqua Cycling, Aqua Aerobics & Water Volleyball
- ONSITE dolphins (extra charge to get in the water but great for watching them play)
But more importantly, the service was phenomenal especially for the kids!
When we were in Habaneros (Mexican Beachfront Restaurant), for lunch, the waiters gave the boys playdo and bubbles. When we went to the buffet for a 2nd dinner (N was still hungry after hibachi and wanted chicken fingers and fries) the waiter brought out 2 plastic reusable cups full of apple juice but asked first what his favorite color was. Did N want red or blue? The staff was just wonderful and almost always put their hand on their hearts when saying good morning, how are you, etc.
The one issue we had was with housekeeping. We asked for the rooms to be cleaned before 11am and turndown by 7pm (to accommodate naps, etc) and we had a couple of days when they just didn’t get there on time. When we asked for extra towels, they were always promptly delivered.
The worst thing about vacationing in Hyatt Ziva Cancun- having to leave.
We truly loved this property and would definitely come back. We would highly recommend it for families with kids under 10. We didn’t see the teen club (nor lots of teens) so we can’t attest to how the teens would like the resort. The Turquoise building is dedicated to adults only. It includes butler service, a private adult only infinity pool and daily access to the hydro therapy area of the spa. Honestly, I’m not 100% sure I would recommend the resort to honeymooners. There might be too many kids there but for a girlfriend’s getaway, friends looking for a relaxing spa vacation or a couple that just wants good food and great service, YES.
Let the team of experienced travel advisors at My Vacation Lady help you plan your next vacation. Whether it’s a honeymoon, family vacation, or just to get away, we can help.