Portugal is a country of scenic landscapes and culture-rich cities. If the sounds of fado music, aromas of freshly grilled fish and the party-loving spirit that fill the Moorish alleys of Lisbon and Porto’s medieval Ribeira District interest you, then Portugal might be a great honeymoon destination for you.
But to really see Portugal, locals say, you can’t just visit the cities:
- Take a leisurely hike into the olive and cork forests of Alentejo or Estremadura’s remote hills or better yet, go by horseback.
- Hike, bike or climb granite peaks filled with lakes and waterfalls in Peneda-Gerês National Park.
- Visit medieval villages sit high in the sheep-nibbled mountains of Serra da Estrela.
- Sip port wine in the rustic quintas around the vineyards of Douro.
- Take a cooking class
- Bask in the sun at the Algarve’s golden beaches or along the Costa do Sol
- Spend your nights in luxurious hotels, historical pousadas or castles
- Experience Portugal by car, explore and wander and get lost in the country side.
- Enjoy a picnic lunch overlooking the city views of Lisbon or Porto.
- Explore some of the medieval towns
- Take a tour to Sintra and visit the palace
When To Go:
Portugal’s high season runs from mid-June to mid-September, when temperatures across the country can average between 70 and 80 degrees. In July and August it gets hot, particularly in the Algarve, the Alentejo and the upper Douro valley, where the temperature can reach 100+ degrees.
Another great time to travel to Portugal would be the spring, when the countryside is at its most verdant, or fall, when it’s still warm but the summer crowds are gone. During the winter months (November to March), it can rain, falling most heavily in the north and less in the south. The Algarve area gets little rain and is known for near year-round sunshine. The Algarve and especially Madeira enjoy temperate winters. Winter is actually the high season in Madeira. The Algarve attracts sun worshipers from North America and Europe, even in the winter.
Why is Portugal so popular among honeymooners?
Portugal is a perfect choice for those who love wine, food, history and beautiful scenery.
- Culture: Portugal has a rich culture dating back to the 12th century. As one of the oldest nations in Europe, there are wonderful cities, medieval buildings, palaces and monasteries to explore.
- Wine: Portugal is rich in culture but also in wineries and vineyards. Port wine is predominant in the Porto region. Just outside of Lisbon is the wine district of Bucelas, known for its exquisite white wines, similar to Chablis. Visit the wineries and vineyards all over Portugal.
- Horseback riding: The Lusitano horse in Portugal is famous and horseback riding is an essential part of Portuguese culture, art, and tradition.
- Beaches: Surrounded on many coastlines, the beaches in Portugal are among the best in Europe. Enjoy the sunshine in the Algarve region, which is known for its moderate climate and sunny days.
- Unique accommodations: Portugal offers hotels to fit every budget but when you are honeymooning in Portugal, try the unique pousadas. Pousadas are located throughout Portugal and are unique properties located in former castles, monasteries, convents and palaces. Known for their high level of personalized service, the pousadas can be the highlight of your honeymoon!
How expensive is it to go to Portugal for a honeymoon?
Portugal is actually one of the most cost effective destinations to visit in Europe. Not as popular as some of its neighbors like France and Italy for honeymoons, Portugal actually can be a great alternative for honeymooners who want a European honeymoon, chock full of history, culture, great food and wine, but can’t really afford the high prices of some of the more popular honeymoon destinations. That being said, no place in Europe is cheap, with airfare alone averaging about $1000 per person round trip but you will get more value for your money in Portugal.
My Vacation Lady customizes each honeymoon based on our honeymooner’s dreams and budget. See why My Vacation Lady is the top rated honeymoon specialist located in New Jersey according to both Wedding Wire and the Knot’s Wedding Channel. We won’t be the first to tell you that your honeymoon should be special, but we are the right honeymoon specialist to make it special.