Please share with a friend:
My Vacation Lady has been receiving more requests for multi-generational vacations recently. Most are for special celebrations- milestone birthdays, major anniversaries, retirements, graduations or sometimes just because.
Our most recent multi-generational vacation groups were to celebrate a big anniversary, like Sue and Artie’s 45th wedding anniversary, Loretta’s 70th birthday, Mary’s retirement and when Richard decided to take his entire family on a cruise to celebrate his 79th birthday. Yes, 79th- not 80th. Richard had a health scare and decided to celebrate in advance of his 80th. How do multi generational family vacations differ from regular family vacations?
- First they include at least 3 generations- usually grandparents, their adult children and their grandchildren.
- In some cases the grandparents will pay for the entire vacation. Sometimes the adult children will pay.
In the past, our clients would have taken their extended families to all inclusive resorts or on cruises, because they were more cost effective and there would be something for everyone to enjoy. We still get many of those requests but also some more unique requests- Hawaii, Costa Rica, Europe and more.
Here are some different ideas for multi-generational family vacations:
- Hawaii– each island is unique and you can combine culture, history and activities in 1 vacation. With resorts or condo style hotels and villas, you have many options in accommodations to fit most budgets
- Costa Rica--is ideal for active families who want adventure. From zip lining, hanging bridges, kayaking, ATV tours, horseback riding, and exploring wildlife, Costa Rica can be the perfect spot for the adventure seekers. While we don’t necessarily sell Costa Rica as a beach vacation, there are still some great beaches and beachfront resorts.
- Saint Lucia– may seem to be more popular as a honeymoon destination, there are some great family friendly resorts and villas that can house multiple families, while at the same time offering great beaches and scenery that is to die for. On our last visit, we stayed in a 3 bedroom villa with 3 bathrooms and a full kitchen. You can hike or bike or horseback ride in the Pitons or take a mud bath at the Sulphur Springs. You can relax at the beach, pool or in the spa. We consider Saint Lucia to be the Kauai of the Caribbean— not your typical Caribbean island and once you visit, you’ll want to come back again and again.
- Escorted tours- with some of the top tour companies getting into the family market, like Adventures by Disney, Tauck and Trafalgar, the family friendly escorted tours tend to be a bit shorter (to accommodate working parents) and have activities that will appeal to all ages.
- Alaska- the easiest way to see Alaska would be by cruise and there are some wonderful ships that will appeal to multi generational family groups. Consider some of these family friendly excursions– helicopter tours, flightseeing, dogsledding, ziplining, whale watching and so much more. Alaska cruising isn’t only for older people. It’s a great family vacation!
- Galapagos- The Galapagos Islands are truly one of the last places to explore untouched tropical landscapes and to see wildlife in their natural habitat. The Galapagos are truly unique a vacation destination.
When it comes to multi-generational family vacations, let the team at My Vacation Lady help you think outside of the box! We can help you plan a unique vacation that will create lasting memories.