Honeymoons only happen once and the team at My Vacation Lady wants to make sure it’s seamless and stress free. With all the stress of planning a wedding and life in general, here are some tips on how to make your honeymoon stress free.
These suggestions came from travel professionals on their top tips for making your honeymoon a seamless journey.
1. Check passport and visa rules before you book your honeymoon:
- Some countries will require that you apply for your visa months in advance (like Brazil, India and Russia)
- Many countries will require that your passport is valid for 6 months after your date of return
- Some countries will require that you have 2 blank pages side by side in your passport (like South Africa)
2. Check the calendar:
- Are you going to be in your honeymoon destination during a holiday celebration, sporting event or festival?
- This could mean higher pricing in hotels, busier restaurants and activities and it could mean that some sightseeing options may not be available to you.
3. Packages vs. Customized Itineraries:
- Packages come in all types ranging from bundling airfare, hotel, transfers and some activities, all the way up to an escorted tour
- Customized itineraries can be as simple as a one destination honeymoon designed completely around the honeymooners dreams and budget to a multi-city or multi-county itinerary.
4. Get Protected:
- Regardless of the cost or destination of your honeymoon, consider adding travel insurance to protect your honeymoon investment.
5. Hidden Costs:
- Watch out for resort fees, parking fees and internet fees. These can all add up
- Are transfers included? If not, anticipate taxi or Uber costs for getting back and forth to the airport
- Are departure taxes included in your airfare? They may be in Saint Lucia but you will have to pay them in Costa Rica before departing
6. Baggage sizes, weights and fees:
- Are you booked on airlines that charge luggage fees? Check your airline websites for the most up to date fees
- Are you flying on different airlines throughout your honeymoon (like from Moorea to Bora Bora)? These may have different luggage weight allowances than when you flew from Los Angeles to Papeete.
- Make sure you know how much luggage and the size of each piece you will be allowed to take on the planes.
7. Stay in Style:
- We may be able to get extra amenities, as well, based on our travel network connections or personal relationships with the hotel managers
- Don’t count on upgrades so book the category of room that you will be happy with.
8. Tips on Tipping:
- Tipping rules vary from country to country and you certainly don’t want to insult or offend anyone.
- Check out this world wide tipping guide to help figure out who, what and where to tip
9. Dress appropiately:
- If you are going to visit churches, cathedrals or temples, women should have their shoulders and knees covered.
- If you are traveling Bermuda, it is not acceptable to wear swim wear outside of the beach or pool.
- Some restaurants will require slacks and a collared shirt for men and closed shoes— even at Caribbean resorts.
10. Tell people it’s your honeymoon:
- Some hotels will send a bottle of champagne
- Some restaurants will give you the best table in the house
- If nothing else, many strangers will congratulate you 🙂
We may not be the first to tell you that your honeymoon should be special, but we are certainly the right Honeymoon Specialists to make your honeymoon special.
My Vacation Lady is the highest rated honeymoon specialist located in New Jersey on both Wedding Wire and the Knot. Don’t you deserve the best when it comes to your honeymoon?