You may not have considered New Zealand for a food and wine destination but you should.
Fresh from the land and sea. Vineyards to explore. Craft beer!
Here are the top 10 Food and Wine Experiences in New Zealand:
- The Classic Wine Trail The Hawke’s Bay is known for Bordeaux Blends, Syrah and Chardonnay. Martinborough boasts wonderful Pinot Noir and Marlborough has world-class Sauvignon Blanc.
- Seafood- with over 9000 miles of coastline, the sea offers the freshest seafood. Local specialties include crayfish from Kaikoura, bluff oysters from Southland, greenshell mussels from Marlborough, and whitebait patties from the West Coast. If you’re not a seafood lover, start with the soft texture and mild taste of scallops from The Coromandel.
- Maori Hangi– or roast dinner- This native Māori ‘roast dinner’ is cooked in the earth using hot rocks and the Hāngī experience usually include a traditional welcome ceremony and cultural performance. Check it out in Rotorua, Northland and Christchurch.
- Coffee- is an obsession in the New Zealand cities. The Kiwi flat white coffee has become internationally famous
- Farmers Markets – homemade treats like jams, pickles and bread are a perfect way to try local kiwi flavors
- Craft beer– Micro breweries can be found all over New Zealand especially around Wellington, Nelson, Auckland and Christchurch
- Manuka Honey – is used in a wide range of food and beverages, as well as health and skin care products. It’s a great souvenir.
- Cheese– check out some of the unique flavors of the local brands at an artisan cheese market.
- Pick your own fruit- berries and stone fruit in the summer (Dec-March) and pears, apples and citrus fruit in April-June. Pick strawberries in Nelson for a unique experience of blending your own ice cream at an orchard cafe.
- Auckland and Central Otago Wineries– Just a 35 minute ferry ride from downtown Auckland, you can get to Waiheke Island- the island of wine. Or you can visit Matakana and Kumeu which are a hour from Auckland. From Queenstown (South Island), there are a number of wineries in the Central Otago region. Known for it’s pinot noir and a great match with another Kiwi specialty- lamb.
So if you only thought of New Zealand as a stop off before or after Australia, think again. If you only heard of the adventures in New Zealand, think again. The team at My Vacation Lady can help you plan your New Zealand vacation or honeymoon to meet your dreams. So if you are looking for a complete culinary experience or a combination of culture and adventure, we can put together a seamless and stress free experience for you. Give us a call to see how our personalized service and attention to detail, can make a difference in your vacation or honeymoon experience.