My Vacation Lady has been hearing from a number of our clients that they don’t need to take travel insurance because their credit card covers them.
There are so many different credit cards out there that I can’t begin to compare what they offer for travel insurance vs the insurance policies that we can offer to you through our trusted travel suppliers. Rather than try to compare, we’ll just review some of the features and benefits of what we can offer and let you compare your credit card coverage to what ours can include.
Cancel for Any Reason Travel Insurance
- If included in your vacation or honeymoon package from a travel supplier like Travel Impressions, Funjet or United Vacations, you can cancel ANYTIME before your plane departs and for any reason. Literally, you can cancel because you have a pimple on your nose or if you break a nail and receive a full reimbursement (excluding the travel insurance premium, of course)
- Cancel for any reason travel insurance through our travel insurance partners (Travel Guard, Travel Insured, RoamRight), is more restrictive. Some might require that you cancel 48 hours in advance of your trip start date. Some may only give you 50% back. I typically don’t recommend this option.
Cancel for Weather Related Reasons
- With Travel Guard, if your flight is cancelled due to weather related reasons, you can cancel for reimbursement. Some other travel insurance companies may require that no other flight would be able to get you to your destination within 12 or 24 hours of your original flight to get a full reimbursement of nonrefundable trip costs.
- Reimbursment for nonrefundable, unused payments or deposits if you must cancel or interrupt your trip due to an illness, injury, or death of you, a family member, traveling companion or business partner or other covered reasons.
- Reimburses a set amount daily for reasonable additional expenses until travel becomes possible if your trip is delayed for more than a set # of hours due to covered reasons.
- Reimbursement if Inclement Weather or Common Carrier causes cancellation or a delay of regularly scheduled airline flights for a set # of hours to your point of departure.
Lost or delayed luggage
- Reimbursement for a set amount if your luggage is lost, stolen or damaged during your trip. Also includes reimbursement for the purchase of necessities if your luggage is delayed for a set amount of time.
Medical coverage and Emergency Evacuation
- Reimbursement for medical expenses that incurred during your trip. (We’ve used this a number of times so far). It also covers evacuation expenses as directed by a physician to the nearest adequate medical facility or home if medically required.
Each policy that My Vacation Lady offers may be slightly different and some will vary in coverage but your state of residence. Please ask us to send you a copy of the travel insurance that we can offer you so that you can compare line by line. That’s the only way that you’ll know if your credit card coverage will really protect you and your vacation investment.
Travel insurance isn’t exciting and isn’t something that will create fun memories but, trust me, if and when you need it, you’ll be happy your purchased it.