We are anxiously awaiting the time when Americans will be able to safely travel to Hawaii during the Covid-19 pandemic. Until we can, you can always dream. Here is a recycled blog post from when times were “normal”
My Vacation Lady loves Hawaii. It’s one of our favorite destinations and we would love to go there many, many times a year but with the flights from the East Coast being as long as they are, we can’t get there as often as we would like. Each time we go back to Hawaii, we get to see, experience and learn something new about the islands.
Here are some other surprising or not so surprising things about Hawaii:
- Hawaiians have a love affair with SPAM- yes, the canned meat-not the junk email
- Sunset doesn’t vary as much as it does between seasons as it does elsewhere. It typically gets dark around 5:50pm in December and 7:20 pm in July
- Gas is about $1.50 more per gallon than it is in New Jersey and Costco is usually the cheapest place to buy gas. We recently filled up at $2 per gallon- it’s about $3.50 in Hawaii (July 2020)
- You can’t get Entenmann’s or Freihofers’s chocolate chip cookies in Hawaii (a soft chewy favorite from the NY region) but you can get some of the best Portuguese malasadas, Hawaiian sweetbread cookies and HULA pie.
- While most people hit the beaches in Hawaii, some go snow skiing on the Big Island
- Hawaii is the only U.S. state that grows coffee
- There are only 12 letters in the Hawaiian alphabet
- The Big Island is actually expanding in size due to the volcanic lava
- The highest recorded temperature- Pahala, on the island of Hawaii, holds the honors for that state’s hottest day with a 100-degree high on April 27, 1931. The lowest recorded temperature recorded was 52 degrees in Honolulu on Jan 20, 1969. Snow on Haleakala in Maui isn’t unheard of and it happens about every 5 years. The last time was this past February
- Iolani Palace is the only royal palace in the United States
- The island is the worldwide leader in harvesting macadamia nuts and orchids
Let My Vacation Lady help you plan your dream vacation or honeymoon to Hawaii!